Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Listening Skills

A little background, Albert and I have recently been having some SERIOUS issues with P wanting to listen to and/or do anything we say. I realize it's an age thing - he wants to do what he wants on HIS schedule; which is exactly why the other night, 15 minutes after I told him dinner was ready and he told me he wasn't eating, he came to the table to eat. It wasn't that he wasn't hungry, he just wanted to eat when HE decided it was time.

As a positive to this whole situation, he's still very concerned about whether or not we're sad at him. (I always say we're sad, never mad - I feel like that's a better representation of most situations.) Anyway, he usually doesn't misbehave for too long, and once he finally complies - on his own time, but complies - it's not usually very long before he's making sure you aren't still sad at him.

Moving on, I've come to the decision that I'm going to stop doing so many extra things for P, reminding him that for me to do things he wants, he is going to have to start helping me do things I want. Good plan, right?

Well, it went into effect when the book fair came to his preschool. He ALWAYS suckers me into a book; more because I love books and think every kid should have a ton, than because I'm a sucker. But I told him Monday, if you can listen and help and act nice, then on Friday I'll come buy you a book. We didn't even make it to the parking lot.

So this morning, we're actually running on time because he was VERY good this morning, and he asks to look at the books. I say sure, but remind him we're NOT buying one. He points out all the books he wants to get - next time; and then figures out I will not waiver and decides he's done looking.

As we walk off to go to his class, I tell him that if he can use his listening skills and start doing what we ask him to do, maybe next time the book fair comes he can get a book.

And he exclaims, "Mom, I found them! In my room!"

"Found what...your listening skills?" I ask. And he looks back at me, so proud and smiling, "Yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment