Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stitches are contagious...

[Preston's Aunt] Stephanie's dog, Gunnar, was at Easter this weekend since they went and snipped his manhood that Friday, and he needed supervision. To say the least, Preston was excited, and the whole "I want a dog" conversation has been happening ever since. (I am proud though; when Steph told him to ask for a little sister, he adamantly disagreed that he'd rather have a dog. High five, kiddo!) Anyway, we had to - carefully - explain to him that Gunnar had to go to the doctor, and he had stitches to make him better and to be careful if you pick him up or something, because it might hurt him.

Anyway, he was running around outside while all of us, including Preston (not going there right now) were in the backyard, not unlike a bunch of rednecks, with a BB gun trying to shoot a plastic pipe in half. Of course we were concerned about shooting the dog - I learned after trying to shoot [Preston's Uncle] Brandon in the butt with the gun, that you don't point the gun at living things. Apparently, you may (or may not) accidentally pull the trigger. Unlikely, I know...but a strict gun safety rule anyway. The dog, however, wouldn't move when you yelled at him, because the cat poop he was trying to eat was more important. So, every time he ran in the way, one of us got up to chase him. (By "one of us," I mean someone other than myself.)

It was Preston's turn to get him. He was slowly following him around, waiting for his opportunity, when he looked back, disgusted, and said,

"Mom, I don't want to get stitches on me..." subconsciously rubbing his arms.

While hysterically laughing, I tried to explain that stitches weren't contagious. "It's like when you had a hole in your shirt, and mommy sewed it up so the whole was closed. Gunnar had a hole, and the doctor sewed the hole so it would be closed...it's just called stitches!"

He didn't look convinced, so I continued, "I promise baby, you can't get stitches."

"But, they're on his stummy, right?" He wasn't buying it at ALL. "Yes," I replied "but they CAN'T get on you."

P spent the next 5 minutes trying to pick up Gunnar without getting stitches on him.

*Note: I still don't think he believes us... (YOU try explaining it to a 3-year old!) he keeps making comments about stitches and being able to "get" them. I think he's testing to see if my answer stays the same. He also checks his arms every time they come up...

2 comments: